Friday, November 18, 2016

Good People - "Randall Haley"

Throughout the journey of "Life" we are blessed with meeting good people. They aren't just every day folks, they are people that impact our lives in positive ways. Some are ever-present beacons providing much-needed yet often rebuked guidance, comfort, and hope. They are a steady source of light in our darkest hours. Other people are but a flash-in-time lasting only long enough to steer us back on course when we have strayed. Most people fall somewhere in between. Regardless of what kind of impact those "good people" have on me, I thank them all, for they make my journey oh so sweet.

----------------------------------------------------

Randall Haley

There are good people you sometimes never meet. And that is a shame.

Society has yet to figure out how to address the information exchange in our rapidly evolving world. Literally overnight, social media has made "authorities" out of unknown and often unqualified people. Opinions have now become facts and the public is often swayed by penmanship and celebrity rather than by knowledge and morality. Often times I am more dismayed by the gullibility of the masses rather than by the false showmanship of the "P.T. Barnum-types". People today are so easily swooned by those trying to sell them something, it makes me wonder if I entered the wrong profession. Oh how easy it would be.

In the hunting community there are folks starved for information. And in today's high-tech world of information sharing, there is no shortage of people willing to impart "information". Unfortunately, when it comes to wildlife, most people consider themselves an expert and are not shy to share their "knowledge". Having spent my life studying and working with wildlife, some of the information I see shared often makes me cringe. Regardless of the sketchy stuff, I truly believe there are two powerful forms of information. "Knowledge," or science-based facts if you will, and "Wisdom," cognitive gains through a lifetime of experiences. Good teachers impart information from one or the other. Our best teachers, however, impart from both.

Let me be clear. I do not consider myself to be amongst the "best" teachers, I still have much to learn. I do however, consider myself a good teacher. Therefore I am often clearing up bad information that is so frequently shared. Though I try to set the record straight, I am often seen as a know-it-all especially by those I contradict. And that's okay, for I am not trying to educate them, for they are already informed and their opinions are firm. I am, however, trying to educate the quiet ones. The "lurkers" so to speak since they represent the majority seeking knowledge.

Now enter Randall.

I had learned to pick out the false prophets from those that truly had something special to share, usually in the form of wisdom.

Randall is one of those guys.

Though he didn't seek higher education, I consider him to be a highly-educated man. His lifetime of adventure in the outdoors is something I could listen to for hours on end and I could always walk away with having learned something I had not known before. His soft-spoken words and willingness to share in his life's experiences immediately drew me to him and made him one of my favorite teachers. Little did he know that I looked forward to reading his comments whenever they were offered. I found his writings extremely interesting and believed he held a wealth of information that was waiting to be tapped. Thus, you can imagine my surprise when he sought "me" for advice. Apparently he found the teacher in me and it renewed my spirits.

Though we've only known each other for a short time I can tell you without a doubt, he is one of those guys you easily, and will always, appreciate in life.  I know this because out of the blue, he sent me a small gift, a CD of his, for no one reason at all other than to simply lift my spirits...and reaffirm that he is "good people".

And much like his stories, his songs are equally fulfilling. My youngest son and I already can't stop singing "Gobblers Noggin'."




Randall you're a good one and I thank you for restoring my faith in the people I try to teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment