Friday, November 18, 2016

Education Without Beration... It Works!

I am often reminded that it is more important than ever to impact human behavior, not just to ensure people are safe around bears, but that bears are safe around people. Everyone has heard that "A fed bear is a dead bear," but some truly don't get the meaning of that message. It really does happen...and unfortunately bears continue to die. Yet some people still don't understand that. Willful negligence, intentionally feeding bears when you know it's wrong, is often a crime and the fault of person performing the act. However, uninformed negligence, when folks don't realize the consequences of their actions, is my fault and the fault of anyone else working in the world of bear education. Therefore, we must improve the ways we reach and speak to people if we want to exact positive change to conserve and protect bears.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more I immerse myself into the world of wildlife education the more I realize how ignorant I truly am on this subject. Don't get me wrong, I feel pretty confident I know more about wildlife than the proverbial "average bear," but where I'm often stumped, is trying to figure out ways to influence human behavior, for that is where one's true power lies. I am wanting to not only get folks to hear what I'm saying but to literally reach inside and connect with them, to touch them in ways that actually helps them to understand and hopefully influences their behavior for the betterment of themselves and the wildlife around them. Most of the time I am a complete failure, but every once in a while I have success. The following is an example and although it may only be a small step, every long journey begins with that initial step.

Over the course of the last year or so, since I began writing my blog, I have accrued a small following of wildlife aficionados...actually bear lovers to be exact. No shame in that, for I too am one. Occasionally these folks send me information on the "bear happenings" around their town. I enjoy reading them and I encourage everyone to keep them coming!
Anyway, one recent "happening" I received was a link to an online news story about a black bear that had been killed by state wildlife agent while it was rummaging through a dumpster behind a city hospital. The person sharing the story, who I consider a friend, was obviously upset and wanted some answers to a few questions that were not addressed in the story. That too was understandable. What followed though surprised me because they were not the same questions that came to my mind even though we had both read the exact same story. This intrigued me.

Following the progression of the story on her FaceBook page, there was a small but growing contingency of people expressing anger and frustration at the wildlife agency. This even spilled into conversation from other groups I am a part of and led to even more questions about the situation.

Isn't discharging a firearm in the city dangerous? Why couldn't they  just tranquilize the bear? Why couldn't they relocate it? Was it really that dangerous? How could they just kill it? Have they no conscience?

This perplexed me for I could not understand the ill-feelings toward the wildlife agency. I knew the answers to all these questions, in fact, they were obvious to me. My understanding came from my first-hand experience having worked as a biologist for a state wildlife agency. But what was clear to me was ever-so muddy to them. And this was no fault whatsoever on their part. They simply had no possible way of knowing the answers to these questions since they had never been told. This is where we, as wildlife experts and educators, have failed them.

First off, let me start by saying, never in my life have I wanted to kill a bear in that situation. I am also almost certain that none of the guys I have ever worked with ever entertained that idea either. It's a necessary evil that unfortunately comes with the job and is usually invoked as a last resort. After all, we went to school and dedicated our lives to wildlife because we have a passion for animals and the places they roam.

But how do I explain this and respond to some of their unanswered questions to a frenzied group of people that have seemingly already drawn their conclusions?

Simple...by speaking their language and opening up a clear line of communication.

I did a little bit of investigating and could tell by their background information that many of the folks commenting on the page were either hospital staff or friends of those in that profession. So against my initial "non-interjectionary" judgement...I entered the conversation.

Instead of entering as a know-it-all, or as my son would say, "Smarty McSmartpants," I entered as a teammate, looking for answers to some contentious questions. I also wanted everyone to see the "bigger picture" right out of the gate so they could start listening with a fresh set of ears that weren't already tainted by previous statements. Up to that point, most of the comments were focused on the action that took place (dead bear) and how things should have been done differently.

This brings us back to MY initial question upon reading the article. How did that bear end up being a frequent visitor around the hospital dumpster in the first place?

Then it dawned on me and the proverbial light bulb went off, or should I say "on" in this case. I made a connection with how I could relate to them and help them understand the issue by using something they were familiar with. I brought up the concept of... "a doctor or a nurse treating the symptom and not the disease."

This they understood.

Placing the argument in their terms, they now had a way of understanding that the agent was not the issue, he was only a symptom. The bear feeding in the hospital dumpster was the real problem and the "disease" which needed to be addressed.

Not long after I entered the conversation it was revealed to me that there were actually four bears altogether and that folks were prone to take selfies with them. Hospital staff would also feed them, even rolling apples to the younger ones.

The disease did indeed reveal itself in stunning fashion.

If that issue was not resolved similar unfortunate situations would be inevitable.

I continued my conversation with an open mind and a friendly attitude. I was not in the least bit insulting nor did I show or have any contempt for their actions. These were people I have never met and I knew not their situation. In other words, I could not pass judgment on their negligence. For all I knew they could have believed in their heart they were truly "doing good".

Within minutes I was not only accepted but I was also invited to give a presentation to hospital staff on " How a fed bear is a dead bear." Sadly, in this case, I will have a shining example.

I accepted without blinking an eye and the arrangements are in the works.

Having said all of this, I want to be crystal clear. I am not mad at, or frustrated with, anyone at the hospital. For all I know, some of them may sincerely believe they were helping the bears. If that is the case, then the only one to blame is myself and other bear advocates for not reaching these folks before an issue was created. There is no sense berating anyone because I promise you, a conversation has never been started and an argument has never been won with an insult.

And this is one presentation I am so looking forward to giving.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a Side Note: It turns out the bear was not even killed by a state wildlife agent so I urge folks to gather all facts before formulating an opinion. And I'm sure some of you may already realize this but the media is not always the best source of information. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment