Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Rendezvous Missed



For over 30 years I have looked forward to the turning of the leaves, not for the reason that the pigskins (footballs) begin to fly, but rather for the arrows. Yes, archery season has arrived. 

I have long been an archer. It is part of who I am. I thank my dad from the bottom of my heart for instilling in me not just the talents required of the craft, but for the passion and ethics that accompany it. Without a doubt my love of nature has been fortified through my love of archery hunting and equally, my love of hunting has been strengthened by my love of nature. Because of this mutualistic bond this time of year brings great joy and peace to me upon its arrival but the reasoning is about far more than just hunting.

Looking back on past seasons, the one and only consistent highlight was always the rendezvous. It was that special time when I met up with the people with whom I shared my times afield. You see, I am what you call a social outdoorsman. My greatest joy comes not from me taking an animal or experiencing a new untrammeled day but rather from the sharing of those moments with others, especially with those who share in my enthusiasm and love for the outdoors. They often turn an ordinary trip into the outdoors into a life-remembering adventure. I do not deny the fact that there are amazing moments that occur when one is alone but moments like those are often magnified when it is shared with others. It is also a certainty that the likelihood of those moments occurring are greatly increased when one is in the company of others. 

I have countless lifelong memories of others experiencing the joys of nature, whether it be the emotions that poured when someone took their first-ever animal or simply the company they offered when they experienced nature in a way few others ever get to behold. 

I have been privy to a young man taking his first deer in honor of his granddad who passed away earlier that day (Making Papaw Proud). I stood beside my brother on an otherwise routine day watching in awe as a rattlesnake devoured a gray squirrel in one fluid but slow-motioned gulp. I smiled in delight as I watched my 80-year old dad shake uncontrollably as an unwary doe presented him with a shot and while my son prayed and thanked the heavens above for the bounty that was provided. Pride and thankfulness has welled like never before when close friends captured some of their greatest moments simply because their special memories are now locked in my vault of special memories as well.

I bring this up because I am about to experience my first ever Western hunt and I meet it with mixed emotions. I am about to set off into a wilderness I have dreamed of entering ever since I was a young child. Wandering in a land full of elk, bears, cougars, and bighorns is truly something for everyone to behold. But at this moment I do it alone. Distance, finances, and all-too-often busy schedules dictate there will be no rendezvous with others this year. Though I am excited to head off into the woods part of me will be missing the camaraderie I have grown to love. And heck, that company sure would come in handy if ever I am so blessed to knock down an elk, for my bounty would also be theirs.

Here's to hoping the mountain brings comfort and provides.


4 comments:

  1. I found it uncomfortable to consider that others find pleasure in the deaths of wild animals, especially at their own hands. The cycle of life in the wild is difficult, often bloody and frightening. I look forward to the time when humans will all become TRUE stewards of the land and of all wildlife and take comfort and pride in peaceful,respectful interaction with all natural elements. Jean Neal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean - we may have more in common than you could ever imagine. I too find it uncomfortable if anyone finds pleasure in the death of an animal. No one I've ever associated with enjoys that part. Rather, the pleasure comes from the entire experience. It begins with the learning about the outdoors, both the animals themselves and the habitats in which they live. It carries through to the time spent in the field, watching early-morning sunrises, to listening to each and every bird, to scaling the highest uninhabited peaks. If one is successful in their hunt, it ends with a bounty of nature's most delicious and healthiest meats, always steroid and antibiotic free. That's is what brings most hunters pleasure. If one is in completely vegan and never eats meat or never indulges in any type of animal product I have the utmost respect for them. If people eat meat or choose to enjoy the products of animals but prefer others do "it" for them, then that is not me. I very much appreciate your opinion and thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a big vehicle to pack out a whole elk, if not leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete