Thursday, September 1, 2016

A Gentleman Named John


I don't write much about people, it's because quite frankly I prefer four-legged creatures over the two-legged kind. This morning however, I read a few words that inspired me to ponder about a gentleman I know. And when I'm inspired I tend to write. 

The fact that I use the word "gentleman" to describe this man may take some people aback for I have heard him described as a gawd-awful egotistical ornery-son-of-a-bitch, and that quite frankly is putting it politely. He is often known as a braggadocio but truth be told if I shared in only half his adventures I would have led a life made for the movies. In other words, he's the kind of guy made for hot days, rocking chairs and ice-cold lemonade.

He is a rugged individual, one whose body was hardened from a life of riding broncos and bulls and chasing his life pursuits. Whether it be in the towering oxygen-scarce high peaks of the west or the frigid lung-searing plains of Canada, it seems this cowboy has traversed them all. Unfortunately his body is now reminding him of all the fun he once had.

He is a skilled and tested outdoorsman who has a passion for hunting and fishing. And he will be quick to remind you he never "harvests" an animal. He kills them and eats them... and they're mighty fine on the palate to boot. When there's a family in need, he will go out and get them food, legally of course. He is a firm believer of the saying, "If you teach a man to fish," and believes this of hunting as well for he quite readily shares his bounty. As you can imagine, he cares nothing about antlers or trophies for if he did his house would be cluttered for his kills are too numerous to count.

He is a man of good heart and fine soul though he will be quick to deny it...well maybe not, but that's part of who he is. His penchant for the bottle in his younger days caused many to run afoul with him but he cares not for those are always the first to cast the stones. Never do they see his strong belief in God or his service to the homeless which he goes about without fanfare. He enjoys youth sports and makes it a point to highlight kids when they rise above the standard game-playing, iPhone-worshipping model of today's millennial's. 

But most of what this gentleman is is a writer. He is a true talent not because of the many awards that adorn the walls of his studio for far more awards are piled up in dust-covered boxes on his floor. They are appreciated but often meaningless, in a good sort-of-way, in his deeply-worn eyes.

He is a writer because that is what drives him. It entertains him and gives his life purpose. It is witnessed in his words. Oftentimes people can't discern when he's telling the truth or when he's spinning a tale, a true sign of a great storyteller. Ask him about his exploits with world-famous people in a far reaching corners of the continent or about how his camp was under siege from one of those "sasqautchy" animals and he will spin two tales that leave you believing both. Fortunately I have seen pictures of when he ran with Loretta Lynn's gang but I am not yet buying his big foot tale, though it still captivates me.

Now I only follow my friend on Facebook. He posts regularly of his daily life happenings in his unique southern gentlemen-like style. If'n yer not yet fumilyerized wuth it, ya' aint gunna fint'it easy readin'.

Did I mention the man has won countless writing awards?

This finally brings me to the reason of my inspiration. I posted a blog the other day and received numerous comments from followers on Facebook. Though I appreciate them all, one comment in particular stood out. It said...

"Well rit, just wun riter to nuther."

I have never been so honored. Thank you John.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment