Saturday, June 11, 2016

Go Away Bear! (Darkness Falls - Part 4)


"YOU TOOK US IN A CIRCLE!?" Bill yelled somewhat questioningly.

"Yup."

I couldn't help but smile knowing my distance instincts were correct in that we turned off the trail a bit too soon.


"My bad," I smiled.

I could see the disappointment in Bill's sweat-soaked face. The faded orange tank top he was wearing must have weighed at least a half-pound with all the perspiration it gathered.

As he spoke the last ray of sunlight had succumbed to the setting twilight.

"Dammit...I really wanted to do that bear thing too!" Bill exclaimed with a somewhat dejected voice.

"Oh no worries, we're doing it," I said as I reached into the side pocket of my pack and removed two headlamps.

"But it's dark out!" Bill hastily reminded me, his eyes widening.

"Ummm, yeah...that's what happens when the sun goes down," I gleefully added with another smile.

Ha....I was now truly beginning to enjoy myself!

Bill started, "But it's..."

"Dark out....I know," I said. "That's what the lights are for. Man...I would've thought flashlight were standard issue in the Army. They really need to provide more equipment for you guys...especially if you have to jump out of a plane AT NIGHT."

I was really enjoying myself now.

Though night hiking wasn't my preferred mode of travel my Dad taught me at early age that, "the only thing in the woods that'll hurt you is yourself." Of course I would not let the thought that we grew up in an area that had NO BEARS cross my mind. Anyway, I knew the darkness was just a minor inconvenience, we had a job to do and I wasn't going to mess up my first assignment due to a slight miscalculation. Plus...I had be there for Bill, he needed me.

*************

As we strode passed the jeep I lightly tapped on the hood and exhaled "Lap 1!"

Bill didn't find it funny.

I stopped and turned to Bill, his face now illuminated by the glow of my headlamp. I could see the look of concern in his eyes. "It'll be fine Bill, I swear. I'll lead, just stay at my heels."

"Well how come you have a weapon and I don't?"

I could only assume he was referring to my hiking stick.

"Tell you what...if you reach into the top pouch of my pack, there's a big ol' can of bear spray if it'll make ya' feel any better."

He had the can out before I was able to turn completely around.

"You feel better now?" I asked.

"How 'bout the stick?" he replied. "You know, since I'll be in the rear I'll need to protect our backside."

At this point I was beginning to doubt he'd ever head back up the mountain so I was willing to give him whatever would get his backside moving forward.

"Sure....you can have my stick too."

Woohoo!...we were finally moving!

*****************

The trek uphill wasn't nearly as bad the second time around, it had now cooled to a frigid 78 degrees Fahrenheit. My sweat-filled shirt was at least keeping me cool if it wasn't weighing me down. The narrow beam of light from my headlamp created the classic feeling of tunnel vision and I soon found myself in a rhythm of placing one foot in front of the other, carrying myself up the trail. I'm sure Bill, somewhere behind me found the same rhythm.

At about the thirty minute mark, I knew we'd be approaching the point where we made a wrong turn. I turned on my heel to yell back to Bill and as I pirouetted my nose almost hit his nose. I almost yelled in terror seeing his brightly illuminated face a mere three inches from mine.

"Cheese and Rice Bill!!!" I yelled with a start. "You scared the crap outta me...can you get any closer??"

"I'm protecting your backside man!" he shot back.

"By crawling up in it???" I retorted.

"Sorry...I didn't want us to get separated," he responded like a scolded child.

"I'm sorry Bill...you just startled me, I didn't expect you to be that close. Anyway... when you go Ninja with that stick make sure you're far enough away so I don't get caught in that backswing of yours, ok?"

I think the thought of him going Ninja pleased him and he smiled. He seemed to get a little boost from that and backed up another three full inches.

We continued on.

**************

We passed the point where we turned off on "Lap 1" and wouldn't you know it, the real turn off wasn't but 100 yards further up the trail. Funny thing, not only was the next trail just as wide and as well-marked as the first trail but there was a nifty sign in the crossroad that said, "Campsite #10" accompanied by a big right-facing arrow. Ah...the simple joy of being on the right track!

The next 30-minute climb was uneventful as the trail was a slow and steady progression uphill. All the while Bill remained poised and ready at this stick. He was still a bit closer to me than I preferred since my greatest fear was flushing an unknown animal at close range causing Bill to react and start karate chopping. I couldn't shake the vision in my head of tomorrow's headlines, "Manager of bear center accidentally struck dead when grouse flushes from underfoot." I think that was most fearful I have ever been of a six-inch bird.

Thankfully the bird never flushed and the stick never swung.

We finally arrived in camp shortly after 10:00 p.m. I was more than happy to release the pack from my shoulders and take a much-needed break.

As I looked around with the feeble light of my headlamp, the camp was exactly how I wished it wasn't...a small level clearing completely engulfed within a wall of rhododendron. The cicadas were now buzzing to the point of having to yell to Bill simply so he could hear me.

"LETS GO AHEAD AND PITCH CAMP!"

I ordered Bill. I kind of felt bad taking the role of commander but I feared that was the only way I was going to get him (and me) off the mountain alive.

As we worked diligently in natures din to set up the tent and start the fire it dawned on me...

...a bear could walk five feet away from us and we'd never hear nor see it.

(To Be Continued...)




1 comment: