Friday, June 3, 2016

Dad....write down this number...



It is comforting to know my brother and sister share the same frustrations when talking to my Dad on the phone. Love him (Dad) to death but 45 years of working as a mechanic in General Mills takes its toll on a body...ESPECIALLY THE EARS.

**********************

(Recent phone call...)

Me: Hey Dad, how you doing?

Dad: Not too bad.

Me: Good. Well, listen I have that phone number of the repair shop you wanted me to track down. You ready for it?

Dad: Hold on, lem'me get a pen....(long pause).... Okay go ahead...

Me: 6-1-5

Dad: 6-1-9

Me: No...dad... 6-1-5

Dad: Okay...6-2-5

Me: No Dad...Listen...  Six.... One.... Five....

Dad: Got it.... 6-1-5-5

Me: No....dad, I only gave you three numbers... It's 6-1-5.... and stop after the 5!

Dad: Okay...I got it

Me: Got it? Are you sure???

Dad: Yes, I'm sure!

Me: Okay then what is it?

Dad: What is what?

Me: The first three numbers!!!!

Dad: 6.....1......5

Me: Yes!!!!! You got it!

Dad: I know...that's what I've been saying all along.

Me: No...you haven't...but....never mind... We still have seven numbers to go. Alright, ready for the next three?

Dad: 3...

Me: No...don't write down three! Erase that number....(pause)... Did you erase it?

Dad: Yes

Me: Okay good...4-8-7.... Got it?

Dad: Yep

Me: Alright, what did you get?

Dad: What do you mean?

Me: What numbers did you just write down???

Dad: 3-4-8-7

Me: No! Dad...I only gave you three numbers!!!

Dad: I know. That's what I said....three....

Me: Stop!!! Just stop right there! There is no three!!!!

Dad: Then why did you tell me three??

Me: Because that's how many....grrrrr.....just forget it..... Okay just write these numbers down... Four.... Eight.... Seven... Got it?

Dad: Got it.

Me: Tell me what you got.

Dad: 4-K-7

Me: Dad!! No...There are no letters in this phone number!!!!   It's an eight... Not a K!!!

Dad: That's what I said! ....4....7....8

Me: Noooo!!!! It's not 4-7-8!!!  It's Four.... Eight.... Seven... It's 8-7 after the 4!

Dad: 8-7-4

Me: {{{{Silence}}}}

Dad: You still there?

Me: Unfortunately.

Dad: Are you going to tell me the phone number or what?

Me: I'm trying Dad... I swear I'm trying.

Dad: Okay...

Me: Here's what we are going to do Dad.... We are going to go one number at a time and you are going to repeat after me. Got it?

Dad: Got it.

Me: SIX

Dad: 6

Me: ONE

Dad: 1

Me: FIVE

Dad: 5

Me: FOUR

Dad: 4

Me: EIGHT

Dad: H

Me: Noo!!!! EIGHT!!!.... EIGHT!!!.... As in the number after sev....{{{{pause}}}}. It's an EIGHT Dad....it's a number.

Dad: 8

Me: {{{I drop the phone}}} Yes...dad....you got it.

Dad: I know.

Me: and the last number is SEVEN.

Dad: Okay

Me: Say the last number to me Dad.

Dad: 7

Me: Great!!!! Now say all the numbers to me.

Dad: 6-1-5-4-8-7

Me: Yes!!!

Dad: That's the wrong number.

Me: What do you mean it's the wrong number?

Dad: There's not enough numbers in that phone number.

Me: I know! We're not done....the first three numbers were the area code.

Dad: Did you say three?

Me: Nooooo!!!! I did not say three! Well....I did....but..... just forget it....

Dad: Are you gonna give me the numbers or what?

Me: I'm trying Dad.... I swear to god I'm trying....  Okay... Ready?

Dad: Yep

Me: Fourteen.... Thirty

Dad: That's only two numbers.

Me: NOOOOO!!!!

Dad: I know....I know.... Can't you take a joke?

Me: I'm not in the mood to joke Dad.

Dad: I thought it was funny.

Daryl: Fine! Now just read me back the entire phone number.

Dad: 6

Dad: 1

Dad: 5

Dad: 4

Dad: 8

Dad: 7

Dad: 1

Dad: 4

Dad: 3

Dad: 3

Me: OH MY GOD....SO CLOSE!!!!

Dad: What?

Me: The last number is ZERO

Dad: Thats what I said.

Me: No you didn't.... You said three.

Dad: Well I have a ZERO on my paper.... should I change it the three????

Me: NOOOOO!!!!! DON'T TOUCH THAT PAPER!!!!

Dad: You sure?

Me: Yes.... That's the number you need to call (615) 487-1430...they'll take your ATV in and get it fixed.

Dad: Oh...didn't I tell you?

Me: Tell me what??

Dad: My ATV is working fine... I just forgot to put gas in it.

{{{{click}}}}

PS - Now it may not have been EXACTLY like that but ask any one of my brothers or sister and they'll tell you it's pretty darn close.

PS - Dad...if you're reading this.... I LOVE YOU DAD!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment