Saturday, January 23, 2016

Dreams Passing By

Ramblings from the Rail
My scatter-brained ponderings from a 90-minute train ride.



I am nestled snugly in a recliner-like chair on the upper deck of a toasty rail car, enjoying my daily commute to the office. The smooth and tranquil ambience within the car can lull even the most coffee-induced adrenaline junkies into a silent stupor. Yet, as I sit, I am transfixed on the scenery before me. The landscape rolling by is intimidating. The air and place outside the rail car is the antithesis of my comfort. 


Beyond the rail car...

...it is sharp and unpredictable.
The air can be extreme, from meltingly hot to the kind of cold that sears the lungs while freshening the soul. I want to inhale it deep.

...it is wild and unbound.
It teems with unmolested vistas as far as my eyes can behold. I strive to tame it.

...it is difficult and hazardous.
It bears carved, crevice-streaked plains backdropped by rolling hills broken by jutting hard mountains. It'd be one heckuva good workout.

...but most of all, it is unknown. Not to history, but to me. I have never stepped foot nor travelled through an ounce of the land I see before me. I know not what it holds or what final destinations await but it is the potential journey that excites me.

So as I sit in blissful comfort why am I drawn to the harshness outside?

Simple...because it is my passion. Being in unbroken places is what truly makes me happy. Therefore, I wait in eager anticipation to step off the train, not to lose my spoiled comfort, but to gain my soulful desire.

To put the lesson simple, don't let a comfy chair be the cause for your dreams to pass you by.


Aside: I find it ironic that my "wild" desires are analogous to anyone wishing to pursue their dreams. Some people are, or at least say they are, driven by their passions and if there's truth in anything I write, pursuing your passions is often like the scenes from the train. Plain and simple, chasing your dreams is sometimes scary. Your pursuits can be unpredictable at times, they can lead you on wild adventures, they are almost always difficult to attain, and making the decision to pursue them always leads you into the great unknown. We all are riding a rail car through life, trying to find that comfortably warm seat with the best views. But what good is that ride if we sit in comfort watching the things that inspire us pass us by? I for one will risk the comfort of the chair for a chance at one day living that dream.


Yes, son this is also for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment