Monday, May 22, 2017

Kindred Spirit

Contrary to what my pictures reveal, I never hike alone. My best friend, "Nik" always joins me. In fact, we have never missed an outing together. We have shared laughs and tears, held secrets, proclaimed triumphs, seen things only our eyes have been privy to, encouraged each other when tired, and even shared tree-root stumbles and loose-rock assists.




We have questioned how things came to be and answered those same abstruse questions with logic and acceptance, sometimes in acquiescence when reality defies rational explanation. We have rejoiced in agreement and found comfort in divergent thought since dispute forces growth in mind and spirit. Simply put, we complement each other.


But beyond our cognitive fellowship, Nik protects me for that is the nature of my kindred spirit, for that is the nature of a Mother Bear.


Every time I step into woods I have her by my side and she gives me strength and comfort. Oftentimes I enter unknown territory and what would normally be a source of unease, she gives me calm.


I look forward to her company and as long as I walk this earth, she walks with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment