Friday, March 31, 2017

The Cursed Spoon



Time For a Change…

I have been blessed by the heavens like no other. From the moment I could walk and talk I knew exactly what I wanted to do in life. My dad instilled in me the love of the outdoors that became the essence of who I am. For that reason, I breathe, eat, and live thinking about wildlife and Mother Nature's glorious ways. Though knowing exactly what you want to do in life seems like a trivial blessing, it is not, for it eliminates wander and waste of time. Yet given my life's clear direction I have wasted more time than I ever could justify. And for that, I am embarrassed.


You see, things have always come easy for me. My greatest achievements have more or less been handed to me. Lifelong friends have always teased me about my proverbial "silver spoon". One that I never did truly appreciate. Until now.

Looking back on my career I had major milestones that I couldn't be more thankful for. Without a doubt they are a sense of pride but in thoughtful reflection I deserved none of them. Take for example the start of my career. I dove in head first working with black bears for a small nonprofit just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Appalachian Bear Center, in Townsend Tennessee, gave me my first break yet all I had in hand was a piece of paper that said I studied wildlife biology for four years. I had a scant bit of real-life wildlife experience, none of which was with bears. Go figure. I am not sure why they hired me but I am forever grateful for the Center for putting their blind faith in me, and blind is what it truly was.

Next came my opportunities with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.  You could say even my initial hiring was a blessing. When I applied, there was a glitch with the mandatory testing requirement so they had to accept my application as is, sans the testing. I literally walked into the agency and was immediately hired on as a Wildlife Manager. It's disheartening and somewhat embarrassing for me these days advising recent college graduates that excelled throughout their schooling yet can not even gain standing to be interviewed by the agency.

Next came my appointment as the Big Game Program Coordinator where I oversaw the state's deer, bear and elk programs. I was offered that position pretty much because no one else wanted it. In other words, there was a lean talent pool. You could say I came in just at the right time. My limited bear experience was just barely enough to tip scales and I was promoted to a statewide program manager.

And if that wasn't enough, it was long after that I was promoted to the Chief of Wildlife and Forestry for the state of Tennessee. This was a complete and utter fluke. I put my name in the hat simply to gain interview experience. My plan was to seriously consider that position in another ten years after I gained quite a bit more experience. At the time of the hiring, there were extremely well-qualified candidates. In fact, reading the resumes, mine should have been the first one thrown in the trash. Instead, the Director was looking for young blood. Someone who could talk to people and lead the agency in a new direction. That was me. Needless to say it created a lot of ill-will from a few that were passed over and I completely understand their disappointment. It should have been them. Again, it was fortuitous timing on my part but it was mostly the work of the "spoon".

With the Chief position my oversight then extended to include all forms of wildlife whether it be furred or feathered. A daunting task at first but I soon I realized I actually didn't have to do much, all I had to do was let our incredible folks in the field do what they do best. And they did it well. For the agency and the folks in the field, I am truly grateful.

Needless to say, all throughout my career I kept finding myself in a position I neither deserved nor imagined. And what did I do? Nothing...I wasted my time. Don't get me wrong, I worked hard, and did what I was supposed to do and I accomplished many "tasks". But unfortunately that's all it was...tasks and hard work. Sometimes too hard even since it came at the expense of my family. Unfortunately, long days often equates to missed opportunities.

So why was all this hard work a waste of time? It is because I never achieved my goal of making a difference. Making the natural world and all it's inhabitants a better place. So what good then have I really done?

Most people in the world get up, do their job, and go home. For them that is who they are and that is who they want to be. That is fine for them. Unfortunately that is who I was...but it is not who I am.

I want to be the one responsible for change. Positive change. Gandhi-like change but in an Aldo Leopold-esque fashion. Hell, I'd even be happy to one day be likened to Roosevelt or Pinchot. For they not only left their mark on the world, they left their mark on the lives of everyone who came after them. And it isn't just my children and grand children but YOUR children and grandchildren. They are touched by great men like that as well, often unknowingly. That is of course if you ever step foot outside, especially in a National Park or on other public lands.

Do I dream big? Hell yeah I do. I never new of anyone that dreamed of making it somewhat close to the summit.

Will I be successful?  That has yet to be determined. But one thing I know, if your reading this, I'm that much further along in my quest to make a difference, for the unspoken word is never heard.

Yeah...many folks believe I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, some even resent it. To me, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. All I know is it's about time I start putting that spoon to work.

It's time I make a difference.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment